ONE: Prologue: I Prayed

ONE
Prologue: I Prayed

With both knees on the cold hard floor, I kneeled. I could feel the coldness of the floor even though I was wearing a pair of denim jeans. Strange. With my eyes still looking down on the floor, I put my hands together. There are a number of ways to put ones hands together - some put them palm against palm like Buddha while some do that while intertwining their fingers and firmly gripping the other hand, and then there also those who put their hands up high in the air - 'worshipping', but does this matter? No. It did not. No matter what form of flattery you think your hands can portray, it will not do so. The hands are only a form of gesture. They give no more meaning than a priest wearing a cross around his neck or a stable boy wearing a farmer's hat. These are merely gestures of little significance. 

And so I chose to simply put my hands together, firmly gripping one another - filling the gap between my fingers with the fingers of my other hand. My hands felt complete. A strange sensation. For I had not lost any fingers in any battles and yet this little gesture, seems to have given me some form of enlightenment.

Filled with curiosity, I then looked up. I had shifted my eyes from this cold hard floor to the sky above me. A sky filled with twinkling lights and I prayed.

To who you wonder?

I pray to whoever is up there that will listen. I do not believe that there is only one God or Allah or even Buddha. I worship none. But I do believe that there is one mighty being that created us but who is this God, I do not know. He could be male or female or even genderless but I do not know. For now though, I will simply call him a 'God' and assume that he would be a male.

The life I have led has led me to believe that the life I am given is in my control - the decisions and actions I make are what determines the type of life that I have lived, is living and will live. Only cowards and weaklings cry to God to save them, to help them and to give them a better life. They forget that it is they who are living on Earth - breathing and walking; that it is they who are capable of changing their own fates. Nay. Instead, they choose to beg for salvation - the easier way out. Mankind has always only known how to take but not give; to ask but not deliver. As such, I have never prayed to any God nor worship any. 

But for today, for the first time in my life, I will pray. Would you think this was hypocritical? Ironic maybe? After all that I have explained to you. 

Alas, I must further clarify that I pray not for myself, but for the world. 
Specifically, the humans that roam this planet.
The people that live and walk the Earth.
For I will continue my purge.
Until I have found, You.

____________________________________________________

Please take note that this is the prologue of a short story.


Love,
Tasha Lim

Comments

Popular Posts